- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1⁄3 cup cooked chicken (I used 2 chicken breasts)
- ½ cup carrot, finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- snipped parsley or chives for garnish
Melt the butter in a soup pot.
Saute the onion until it is softened.
Blend in the flour and then gradually stir in the chicken broth. Stir constantly until it comes to a boil, keep stirring for one more minute.
Add wild rice, chicken, carrots, almonds, salt and simmer about 5 minutes.
Add half-and-half and sherry, heat until just heated through.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or chives.