I’ve been fairly into “pumpkin” flavored things the past week… I’m thinking it’s because the canned pumpkin shortage is now over! Maybe it’s because I am 9 months pregnant… Either way, last week I made the most YUMMY pumpkin bars (thanks to my friend Lynn) and this week I’m going to try pumpkin bread. My neighbor Melanie said she always puts chocolate chips in her pumpkin bread, which I have never tried, but I think I’ll try it this year. I mean what more could a pregnant girl craving pumpkin ask for-pumkin and chocolate mixed… MMMMMM! I know they are a good combination because my mother in law makes a chocolate pumpkin pie…… OK so here is the recipe I’m trying:
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9×5 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water, and eggs. Beat until smooth. Blend in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill pans 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool on wire racks before removing from pans.