Tomorrow is the Chinese New Year, the year of the horse! These lanterns are so much fun to make and would be a perfect addition to your Chinese New Year Celebration!
They are also adorable for parties, sleepovers, picnics and playrooms! You could even use “fancy” paper and ribbons and use them for a wedding! They are super easy to make, as well!
Here’s the scoop:
What You Need
- Construction paper
- Glue, glitter, sequins, if desired to decorate your lantern
How to Make
- Use your ruler to measure and cut one inch off the short end of your paper. Set aside to use as the handle.
- Fold your paper in half lengthwise.
- Draw a line one inch from the end of the long edge of the paper opposite the folded edge. This will be the line where you stopcutting.
- Measure and mark lines one inch apart starting at the folded edge and moving towards the “stop cutting” line. (see photo)
- Cut on the marked lines up to the “stop cutting” line.
- Unfold the paper.
- Re-crease the paper in the opposite direction. This will hide any pencil marks.
- Match the long edges together on the lantern and use tape to hold it in place.
- Staple the handle to the top of the lantern.
- Make as many lanterns as you wish and display them around your home.
- If you wish, add glue, glitter, sequins or other things to decorate your lanterns. (This is the fun part for your kiddos) 🙂
Here is an easy horse craft you can also do with your kiddos! It is the year of the horse you know 🙂 HORSE CRAFT DIRECTIONS